Wednesday, March 26, 2014

HOW TO…Run your business when life throws you a curve ball

I have several friends (myself included) trying to run their business while dealing with major life changes.  Accidents, divorce or an ill family member will side track anyone's life but when you have clients and employees relying on you, the pressure can take it's toll.  Some people take a sabbatical, others soldier on.  I fall into the latter group.  Here are five tips to keep things afloat during the toughest times and not let your business or your life suffer.  

1. Get Help - No one can do it alone. I have hired an associate, an assistant and have a team of photographers that work alongside me at every wedding.  I honestly can't imagine working any other way.  They are an invaluable facet to my business and help create my brand.  I also have personal help in the form of a caregiver and cleaning service. It's worth the extra money so I can spend time with my family or work on my business.  

2. Form a Web of Support -  AWP, NACE, BNI, Thursday Therapy and a bevy of friends and family form my support group.  It's so easy to sink into yourself and forget the world around you.  Not only are most of these folks business owners but they believe in me and my success.  I know I can call on any one of them for anything, and I do…often.


3. Take Care of Yourself - It may seem selfish to get a massage or a mani-pedi while paperwork piles up on my desk or emails fill my inbox but it's a few hours to myself in a relaxing atmosphere twice a month.  I also make sure I get 8 hours of sleep a night and take my vitamins.  When you're caring for someone else you don't have the luxury of being sick yourself.


4. Stay Positive - If there is someone or something in your life that is bringing you down. Cut it out.  I'm serious here. Facebook friends, needy neighbors, a basement full of junk? Whatever the weight on your shoulders it will only get heavier as time goes on.  Surround yourself with positive people who lift you up. Seek out experiences that are enjoyable and inspirational.  

5. Get Perspective - Every situation is an opportunity to learn.  You may be in the middle of it now but it won't be forever.  What will you do differently? How has it changed you? My experience has given me clarity and confidence.  I have been pushed to my limits many times and I'm doing pretty damn good considering.  

Just writing this blog made me feel better already. What can you do to keep moving forward despite the obstacles? Who do you know in your life that could use a little inspiration? Reach out. Everyone needs a boost now and then.  


1 comment:

  1. I had the experience of working with a wedding planner this summer who's father had passed away unexpectedly. They were very close, and she was still planning the funeral during the wedding we worked together.

    I have to tell you all, it was such a moving lesson in grace. I know we all respond to grief differently, and its hard to say how we would handle it until met face on. But this woman fielded the entire event (and it did have some pretty major issues that she had to problem solve) with absolute professionalism. She shared with me privately what was happening, but no one would have known.

    I keep thinking about her over the months, and am so grateful to have witnessed her integrity. She did what she had to do, because she absolutely could not hand it completely over to another. She kept her word, and was the woman that her father raised to be a great one. Its hard to put into words, but she moved me. Really.

    I so appreciate this demonstration of how we can pull through in a difficult time. Thank you always Merry-Beth Turpin. Your light continues to shine for me.

    ReplyDelete